Sunday, July 10, 2011

dd-wrt

Wireless routers, all the pain and suffering they have inflicted on us users with their poor stability, lack of firmware updates and general crappiness.

As I wanted to replace or now classic Linksys WRT54GL router (which is the only router I have ever owned which actually worked OK) with a router with 802.11n capabilities I bought the Linksys e3000 and put DD-WRT on it, it worked great!


Before switching firmware I did try out the stock firmware having the router daisy chained to the WRT54GL for a number of weeks. The conclusion was that you always seemed to end up having to fallback to the old router, as the e3000 with stock firmware, was very unstable.

I guess it IS possible to create a low cost high quality wireless router after all, it is just that DLink, Netgear and Linksys cannot create the software for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment